Surf Etiquette with Foil Drive™.Updated 5 months ago
Surf etiquette has been respected and acknowledged for many years and is incredibly important. As hydro-foiling continues to grow across the world, this etiquette is evolving to include guidelines for both traditional hydrofoils and e-foils like Foil Drive™.
Whilst Foil Drive™ might eliminate the difficulty of getting on foil, it certainly does not eliminate your obligation to follow surf etiquette. If anything, you will need to practice this more so than before. Remember technology advancements are not the problem, how it’s used can cause people to become upset.
There is already so much discussion around foils, where they fit and the overall safety in the line-up. With good practice and strong role modelling, we're all in a position to educate our peers and display etiquette, to ensure lifelong enjoyment and growth of such an incredible sport.
As a company producing these devices, we have the responsibility to aid our community with the right tools to not only enjoy their time safely, but to be considerate of others, the environment and their gear.
Let's start off with the basics, some things to consider for surfers and foilers alike.
1. When you're learning, stay away from others
2. ALWAYS wear a leg rope. We'll cover the only circumstance when we recommend not to in the learner's etiquette below.
3. Right of way - The person closest to the peak of the wave always gets priority.
4. Don't drop In - If someone is going for a wave, or already on it, don't drop in - there will be another!
5. Don't snake - Snaking is when someone paddles inside of another surfer in order to steal priority and take off closest to the peak.
6. Paddle back on the outside - Always paddle back to the line-up of the outside, don't cruise back through the guys where people are surfing.
7. Communicate - Have a chat, encourage and apologise if necessary! Everyone's out there to have fun!
8. Keep it clean - NEVER litter. It's as simple as that. Infact, if you see some rubbish, it takes two seconds to pick it up!